UK AI voice start-up DEEPZEN teams with Ingram content group to offer artificial-intelligence generated audiobooks.
DeepZen is launching a revolutionary new AI Text-to-Speech (TTS) audiobook production service that will enable Ingram Content Group’s publisher clients to meet the increasing demand for audiobooks, and grow their audiobook catalogues quickly and cost-effectively, without compromising on quality.
The service uses innovative technology that replicates the human voice to create a listening experience that is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. Developed specifically for audiobooks and long form content, it incorporates artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and next generation algorithms.
DeepZen’s AI voices are licensed from voice actors and narrators, capturing all of the elements of the human voice, such as pacing and intonation, and a wide range of emotions that produce more realistic speech patterns. They are benchmarked against human narration, and are a world away from the robotic, monotone, voice assistants with which we are all familiar.
The production service is designed to be easy to use, and no tech knowledge is required. Publishers simply upload their manuscripts to the Publisher Portal, select a narrator and receive an estimate. Once they’ve confirmed the project, DeepZen starts work on the TTS conversion.
Through their relationship with Ingram, DeepZen is providing a managed service that combines AI technology with human editing, to ensure the high quality that listeners expect. The whole process takes approximately three weeks.
Taylan Kamis, DeepZen’s CEO said:
We are delighted to be teaming with Ingram to provide publishers with a new, cost-effective and convenient way to create high-quality audiobooks. ‘Our technology is breaking down barriers, making audiobook production more cost-effective for everyone, and much more accessible for small and mid-size publishers
- Listen to Kelly, a DeepZen narrator; her voice is generated by DeepZen AI technology, and she can display a whole range of human emotions: listen now.
- Listen to complete library of AI voices.
- DeepZen, a UK-based AI company, was founded by Taylan Kamis and Kerem Sozugecer in 2018. Inspired by the 2013 Spike Jonze film “Her” (where a man develops a relationship with an AI virtual assistant), they wanted to see if they could create a process by which a machine could understand a piece of text and then read it out as a human would, with all of the emotional understanding and natural speech and intonation patterns of a real person.
- DeepZen produced the world’s first digitally narrated audiobook in 2020, the darkly humorous, The Reluctant Cannibals by Ian Flitcroft.
- In the last 12 months, DeepZen has signed three co-publishing deals in the UK, signed Worldwide distribution deals, and produced tens of audio books with hundreds more in the pipeline. Audiobooks produced by DeepZen are accepted by over 50 vendors globally including Apple Books, Google Play, Kobo, Scribd and Spotify.
About Ingram Content Group
The world is reading, and Ingram Content Group (“Ingram”) connects people with content in all forms. Providing comprehensive services for publishers, retailers, libraries and educators, Ingram makes these services seamless and accessible through technology, innovation and creativity.
With an expansive global network of offices and facilities, Ingram’s services include digital and physical book distribution, print-on-demand, and digital learning. Ingram Content Group is a part of Ingram Industries Inc. and includes Ingram Book Group LLC, Ingram Publisher Services LLC, Lightning Source LLC, Ingram Library Services LLC, Tennessee Book Company LLC, Ingram Content Group UK Ltd. and Ingram Content Group Australia Pty Ltd.