For the first time ever the president is a Latino-American filmmaker, Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu.
This year’s prestigious competition, unveiled on April 18 and championed by the press, with films from high level filmmakers as well as male and female directors accessing it for the first time, will be appraised by the next Festival de Cannes’ Jury (from 14 to 25 May 2019), inviting this year, under the first ever presidence of a Latino-American filmmaker, Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu : four women and four men, from four continents and from seven different nationalities.
Pierre Lescure and Thierry Frémaux have said :
« The Cannes’ Jury is invited to see films directed by the greatest filmmakers of our time – which is the case again this year. Everyone of the directors being part of the competition also has to know they will be considered by strong artists – which is also the case ! »
The Jury will reveal their prizes on Saturday, May 25 during the Closing Ceremony.
THE JURY 2019
- Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu – President (Director, producer & screenwriter / Mexico )
- Elle Fanning (Actress / United States)
- Maimouna N’Diaye (Actress & director / Burkina Faso)
- Kelly Reichardt (Director, screenwriter & editor / United States)
- Alice Rohrwacher (Director & screenwriter / Italy)
- Enki Bilal (Author of Graphic novels & director / France)
- Robin Campillo (Director, screenwriter & editor / France)
- Yorgos Lanthimos (Director, screenwriter & producer / Greece)
- Paweł Pawlikowski (Director & screenwriter / Poland)